This recipe has become a family favorite! My kids enjoy wrapping the lettuce leaves. Great for lunches as well!
Makes 5 tortilla wraps or 6 lettuce wraps.
- Keep a small bowl aside to make a sauce on the side as you prepare your tofu.
350 g Tofu, firm, cut into small (1 cm x 1 cm) cubes.
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp. minced garlic and ginger (fresh is best)
1 tsp pepper and chilli flakes (optional)
1 tbsp. Maple syrup/honey and 1 tbsp. set aside.
1 tbsp. soy sauce + 1 tbsp. soy sauce set aside
1 tbsp. Sambal Oelek sauce or other chilli sauce + 1 tbsp. set aside
1 tbsp. hoisin sauce + 1 tbsp. set aside
Juice of 1/2 orange (1/2 set aside).
1 flour tortilla
- All thinly sliced (length wise) and put aside on a plate. You can use a food processor as well.
¼ cup cucumber
½ cup each cabbage, red and green
½ pepper, red or any other color
½ onion, red
Large green lettuce leaves
Green onions for garnish (optional)
Peanuts for garnish (optional)
Black Sesame for garnish (optional)
To make tofu wraps:
- Heat sesame oil in a wok or pan. Once heated add tofu cubes. Stir to coat. Add ginger and garlic. Add pepper and chilli flakes. Stir-fry until tofu golden brown.
- Add maple syrup/honey, soy sauce, sambal oelek sauce, hoisin sauce and orange juice. (Keep some set aside per ingredient list). Stir with tofu until sauce thickens.
- For tortilla wraps, layer with all fresh uncooked vegetables and add tofu. Drizzle with some sauce on side.
- For lettuce wraps, add remaining vegetables (carrots, cabbage, peppers) to tofu in wok or pan with remaining sauce. Stir-fry vegetables until just cooked. Serve wrapped in green lettuce leaves. Garnish with peanuts, green onions and black sesame if desired.